The particular course is my first foray into a blogging contest. My friend, Natasha at 5 Star Foodie Culinary Adventures, is conducting her monthly recipe challenge. This month’s 5 Star Makeover Challenge is to create a PASTA dish with a twist.
This dish was inspired by Linguini Carbonara. The Italian classic is made with bacon, egg, black pepper, and Parmigiano-Reggiano. I’ve eaten this dish since I was a young boy. Throughout the years, through much trial and error, I have personalized this recipe. Now it is one of my absolute favorites.
You will find that the creamy egg sauce mixed with the smoky caramelized bacon is a real winner.
For the White Wine Pasta:
4 cups flour
4 Organic free-range eggs - (whole)
½ tsp olive oil
3 tbs White wine – (Riesling)
1. Mound the flour on a work surface
2. Make a well in the center of the flour. Add the eggs, olive oil, and wine
3. Use a fork to beat together the wet ingredients
4. Starting at the center slowly incorporate the flour
5. As you expand out the dough will start to come together
6. Once you have a cohesive mass, remove the dough. Scrape the board clean.
7. Lightly reflour the board and kneed for 6 minutes
8. Wrap the dough in plastic and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
9. Roll and shape to desired size.
For the Egg & Cheese Sauce:
5 Organic free-range eggs – (whole)
1 tbs butter – (unsalted)
4 oz St. Andre Triple Cream Cheese
1 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano
In cooking eggs it is vital to not overcook. When making this sauce, DO NOT ALLOW THE EGGS TO COAGULATE. You must stir continuously, while playing a game of on-the heat & off-the-heat. If you do not feel comfortable use a double-boiler.
1. In a saucepan, add the eggs, butter, and triple cream cheese
2. Set the saucepan over medium heat.
3. Cook stirring constantly for 2 minutes
4. Remove from the heat, and continue stirring for 2 minutes
5. Back on the heat for 2 minutes stirring continuously
6. Off the heat. Stop cooking if the sauce has come together
7. Do not allow the eggs to reach 170 F, or they will coagulate
8. Add the Parmigiano. Season with salt and pepper
For the Caramelized Bacon:
12 oz Bacon – (small dice)
2 tbs Chipotle based hot sauce – (Cholula Brand)
2 drops liquid smoke
2 tbs Brown sugar
2 tbs Organic honey
1. In a glass mixing bowl, combine the chipotle sauce, brown sugar, honey
2. Using a dropper, add 2 drops liquid smoke
3. Mix well. Allow to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes
4. Cook the bacon over medium heat till crispy.
5. Drain the pan of the fat and wipe clean
6. Put the pan over the heat, and allow to get hot again
7. Add the bacon. Cover with the Chipotle liquid
8. Cook till the bacon is coated with the liquid and caramelized
1. Roll the pasta on a carving fork to make a loose ball.
2. Gently lay on the center of the plate
3. Generously spoon the egg & cheese sauce
4. Add the caramelized bacon.
5. Garnish with edible flowers – (marjoram, thyme, chive)
That’s it for now…till we exchange a few words again…Peace!