This month's makeover theme is my favorite food, Pizza. I am a pizza addict. No doubt. My issues are deep rooted and out of control. If you've read this blog for more than a minute you've seen...
My preferred pizza is a thin crust. However, when conceptualizing my contribution to the makeover, I decided to make a deep dish.
This particular pizza "pie" is built around two ingredients which are carried throughout the complete flavor profile.
I was challenged to make a chicken pizza attractive. According to the diners who enjoyed this one, Mission Accomplished.
This dough recipe is light and airy for a deep dish pizza, certainly not a thick dense gut-bomb.
Deep Dish Dough. Sliced Smoked Gruyere Cheese
Homemade Chicken & Apple Sausage
Chicken & Apple Fricassee made with organic free range chicken legs, chicken stock, Calvados Apple Brandy, apple cider and Fuji apples.
Creamy Brie & Chopped Chives
Fresh from the oven...
Deep Dish Dough
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 cups water (105 F)
- 3 1/2 cups Gold Medal AP flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Olive oil to grease bowls and deep dish pan.
- In a glass bowl, combine yeast, 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup water and sugar. Stir to combine.
- Cover and set aside. For 20 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir ingredients until they come together.
- Turn the dough out on a floured work bench.
- Knead dough until silky smooth and elastic. About 10 minutes.
- Oil a glass bowl, add the dough. Cover and allow to rise for 1 1/2 hours.
- Grease a deep dish pan with olive oil.
- Cut the dough in half.
- Press the dough onto the oiled deep dish pan. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Pull the dough up along the sides of the pan.
Chicken & Apple Fricassee
- 3 organic free-range chicken legs
- Wondra flour
- sea salt
- white pepper
- fennel pollen
- smoked paprika
Bake at 400 F for 1 hour.
- safflower oil
- unsalted butter
- sea salt
- cane sugar
- 1 large Spanish onion - peeled & sliced thin on the mandoline
- 3 tbs Calvados French Apple Brandy
- 3 Fuji apples - sliced thin on the mandoline
- 10 sprigs lemon thyme - tied by butchers twine
- 24 oz homemade chicken stock
- 10 oz apple cider
- 3 bay leaf
- In a saucepan, heat the safflower oil over medium heat. Add the butter. Once the butter melts and foams, add the sliced onion.
- Season onions with sea salt and cane sugar. Cook until well caramelized. Get some good color on them.
- Deglaze with the Calvados. Scrape up all browned bits.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Scrape the skin and meat off the chicken leg bones. Add the meat and skin to the pan.
- Reduce to simmer. Simmer for 1 hours. Or until reduced to desired consistency.
- Remove the thyme bundle & bay leafs.
- Allow to cool to room temp.
That's it for now...till we exchange a few words again...Peace!