Spaghetti & "Meatballs"
Smoked Tempeh & Grain Meat Meatballs with Zucchini Spaghetti & Grain Meat Ragu
I am excited for this maiden voyage of the...
A group of talented cooks who will gather every month to create inspired dishes around central theme or ingredient.
Thanks to my cohost Joan Nova from Foodalogue. If you have not visited her site, I recommend you do so. She covers various topics ranging from food, to photography and travel.
Does vegetarian food have to be boring? Raw veg on a plate? A salad?
I don't think so. This isn't 1985.
Vegetarian can be sexy, fun, & beautiful. For far too long "chefs" have been taking the lazy way out cooking vegetarian. Luckily, these days there is a legion of talented cooks creating inspired and flavorful veggie dishes.
That's exactly what I tasked myself to do. I recently hosted a dinner party where I served 5 courses.
- 3 vegetarian
- 2 vegan
I decided to play with the spaghetti & meatball concept.
The star of the dish are the "meatballs," made with a combination of...
I do not like to use any fillers in my meatballs, so to make these I just...
- Ground the grain meat sausage & tempeh
- Season with sea salt & fresh marjoram
- Form the "meatball"
- Allow to sit covered for 24 hours in the fridge
- Cook in smoker on a hickory plank over cherry wood at about 300 F for 10 minutes.
For the tomato ragu, I would normally use some kind of ground meat, probably lamb, but in this dish I used more Field Roast grain meat.
- Organic Fire Roasted Whole Tomato
- Toasted Fennel Seeds
- The Vegan Vine Cabernet Sauvignon
- Field Roast Grain Meat Italian Sausage - (Ground)
- Saute all diced veggies in olive oil.
- Add the toasted fennel seeds
- Add the grain meat
- Deglaze with red wine
- Add the tomatoes
- Simmer for 3 hours
- Add water as necessary
This turned out to be a light, enjoyable dish.
No one missed the animal protien.
That's it for now...until we exchange a few words again...Peace!